9.14.2008

Sept. 13th KENNEDY CENTER OPEN HOUSE


I went to The Kennedy Center.
There was an art and music festival of celebration as the 24th anniversary of this big building in George Town.
I was informed about the festival by an ad on a free paper.

It was a really nice festival!
I was able to see many concerts for free.

The most unforgettable experience for me was a live stage of Mr.Jake Shimabukuro.
He is a top Hawaiian ukulele musician. I've known him for years but I'd never gone to his concert.


Not to mention technique,he was awesome!!!
Jake said he is on a Japan tour now.
He flew from Nagoya yesterday, and needs to return to Japan soon.
If I were in Japan, I would have to pay for his concert !!
(Of course it's worth to pay. But anyway, I'm so lucky!)

He played Japanese old song "Sakura Sakura" (means cherry blossoms) .
The song is usually played by "Koto", a Japanese ancient strings instrument.
He imitated a Koto sound by his ukulele, and it sounded totally like Koto.
I was very impressed and touched.

"Shimabukuro" is a kind of Japanese family name but he is not Japanese.
Even so, he could express the feeling of that old Japanese song.

It reminded me that music doesn't need any languages.


Also I saw a brand-new great performance today.
It's called "Step Afrika."


Isn't it cool??

The Kennedy Center offers a free concert every evening.
I will go to see it as often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

にほんごコメントもいけまっせ!