10.12.2008

Blooming Violet II

Thanks for your comments on my previous post, friends!

It was very interesting to know how you all felt about the article.
At least, WE know it is ridiculous to scale people by using a stereotyped measure, because we already have many friends from different countries and understand each other deeply.

But in all probability, this measure might exist even in our mother country.

I explained about the western Japanese's stereotype in class on the day I posted "Blooming Violet."
Most Japanese believe that the people from western area, especially from Osaka, are very funny.
They know many jokes, they like to make other people laugh, they are always cheerful...those are typical stereotypes of western Japanese people who are called "Kansaijin."
On the other hand, western Japanese people think the eastern Japanese are sophisticated but icy.
Of course these are not true at all...but we tend to expect humorous conversations when we have a chance to meet a new person who is from Osaka, and worry that we will be treated unkindly if the person is from Tokyo.

Believe it or not, when I told my teacher that I had moved to Virginia from California, and some Californian had suggested me that East Coast is beautiful but boring, she said to me
"We would say...besides the Grand Canyon, there is nowhere special on the West Coast."



There are still many things that we've never known or never tried.

Seeing is believing...the most important thing for me can be described in four words :
"go and see them."


OLYMPUS E-410 "So...where are you from,chick?"

2 comments:

  1. Always a pleasure to read this blog! I guess, Virginia deserves a second chance from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Cris, you encourage me to keep writing!
    Virginia is really nice place, besides the clod climate...I'll be waiting for you guys come over here and grab your second chances!!

    ReplyDelete

にほんごコメントもいけまっせ!