11.07.2008

PROP 8

PROPOSITION 8 in California is a big, controversial issue.
I've been talking about gay marriages with some of my friends since Prop 8 passed in California.
Actually I didn't take Prop 8 much seriously because I'd believed that gay marriage should be and must be allowed under the law. I firmly believe, there is no acceptable reason to ban it.

As a matter of fact, I don't see the news regard Prop 8 here that much. This is one reason why I didn't know Prop 8 was passed in the election night. But I see commercials for gay couples here : most of them are Internet services which help gay people to find their partners.


They must feel bad that their marriages were approved ban by California voters (just 52% of them!?) and suddenly it became a "illegal marriage" again, but I suppose those couples are still happy to be with their partners.
Those 52% of voters might believe that a marriage is just for a man and a women since they read the Bible literally or just cannot get rid of their old-fashioned theory. I hope they don't discriminate loves among the same sex.

Now each minority is a big part of this country. There are no more majorities in this country. There are countless minorities in this country. The minorities form this country.

The fact the Americans have elected a black man as the next President still shows us the dramatic changing of the United States.
It would not be just a dream that a gay or a lesbian or a disabled person or an Asian woman (me!?) become a president someday.

On that day, gay-marriage issue must be no more than one of historical topics.

The history will tell.



"Hey, dude!" by E-410

5 comments:

  1. I said "no" to prop. 8.
    Most people are afraid.
    I'm not. So I voted "no"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why people are afraid? To be a supporter of gay-marriage?

    Hum...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believed that you would say "No"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sexual insecurity leads to fear.
    Religions have always fed on this fear.
    At the same time, sexuality is complex, never simple.
    Thus - fear.
    In California large religious groups spent a lot of money to win the "yes" vote. Oddly enough, African Americans strongly supported a "yes" vote.
    Interesting, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the headline saying most African American vote with "yes" on Prop8. Yes it's really interesting.
    I guess religions are not just for Gods...sometimes they can be like a mask against fears and distortion of rights.

    ReplyDelete

にほんごコメントもいけまっせ!